23.03.11

Tweeter pods: Step #3

If you follow this project you should already read these posts:
   Tweeter pods: Step #1
   Tweeter pods: Step #2

    In recent blog posts I described how to make fiberglass front pillar trim with tweeter pods.
    At this point the trim is ready to cover it with leather or cloth. In this project I used artificial leather in cream color (since the interior for the car I'm building this project is white/cream color. In next posts I'll show pictures of pillar trim for my car which I covered with black alcantara-like cloth. 

   Since this project has the tweeters in almost 90 degree angle to the trim, there were problems applying the leather. You see, the more irregular shape is the trim the harder it is to put on cloth without wrinkling. 

  The shape of this trim is extra difficult so I had to apply two parts of leather. Two leather pieces should be put together at the corner of tweeter and trim (you'll understand it in the next pictures). The best way to join both pieces of leather is by sewing. Unfortunately it requires great skill and sewing machine. And a lot of testing, experimenting and failing. :)
   In this project I tried to join them as close as possible to get rid of the gap between both pieces of leather. 
I failed, but got great experience on how to do that in my next projects. Soon I will reapply leather pieces with sewing stitches for these pillar trims. Something similar to the picture:

   OK, so to attach leather to the trim I used glue. I can't find the name of the glue, but it looks like honey, it can dry fast and can glue leather, wood, plastics, metal, glass etc.

   So I cut out approximate shape of the leather cloth so it would overlap the edges of the trim (so I would be able to bend it around the trim edges afterwards. 
   Apply glue to the trim surface and to the leather. Then allow it to soak for 3-5 minutes and put the leather on the trim surface. It will glue almost instantly, so be precise and careful. Also try to get rid of the air bubbles underneath the leather. Don't apply the glue to all the leather and trim, try to take several steps to not mess it up at once. 
    The difficult part starts at the tweeter post angles. I can't really explain how did I do it. I used razor blade to cut the leather. You can see in pictures beneath that there are lot of flaws, but it was the best I can do at that moment. 



   After this drill hole in the trim, so tweeter wire would fit. 

   The next difficult thing is - how to attach clips so that trim would clip on to the pillar. 
   At this project I didn't attach clips because this fiberglass trim fitted perfectly in the car and didn't make any gaps between trim and pillar. 

   In my other project I glued the clips on the back to the fiberglass trim so it could be attached to the pillar. But more on that in my future posts. 

   So the result in car looks like this:





2 komentāri: